Sunday, 22 February 2009

A weekend of wires

Yesterday morning Althea refused to start for no apparent reason. She flattened both batteries completely so I put them on charge and set about doing what else I could.
I cut the hole in the side for and installed the external electrical supply socket. I attached hinges and handle to the overhead storage area door. I re routed the speaker cables and put in the conduit for them to run through. I had a dam good look for the source of the fuel leak and though I didn't find it exactly I did determine that it has to be the fuel pump. I was hoping it might be something as simple as a loose nut or worn cable but alas no.

I measured up the space underneath where I want the water tanks to go and though there isn't enough room for two 70 litre tanks I reckon I could get two 35 litre tanks in there which should be plenty.

This morning I put her freshly charged batteries in and she started with a vengeance. Not only that but the sound system and inverter worked a lot more comfortably too. It looks like a lot of the problems I've been having with the batteries might be because they aren't charging properly. Maybe the alternator isn't capable of charging the 96 amp batteries or maybe she just needs to be driven more to keep them fully charged.

No comments: