The replacement part is a Ford Transit top hose but of course the part it's replacing isn't. Or at least that's the way it seems. I managed to persuade the new one on after quite a bit of puffing and panting but it certainly isn't much like the one that came off.
Good old Gaffa Tape. I was as surprised as anyone that this repair got us home.
While I was there I thought I'd have a look at the leaking thermostat housing and worked out that it doesn't need replacing but that there is a gasket missing, or some kind of sealant. I put everything away and headed off to Catford on the bus. The Mazda is overdue for its MOT so I couldn't take it.
You can see the sealant in the photos it's the blue stuff.
Tomorrow I'll fill her up with water and run the engine for a while to see if there are any leaks.